1 Jul 2011

Back To My Old Compact

I decided to leave my 5d mark 2 in the house for the day and only take my little compact fuji camera. The Fuji Finepix F11. Yes you probably haven't even heard of it.

This was my very first camera and I remember loving it, I got some really good shots with it but felt I needed something with a little more manul control, so I entered into the DSLR world with a Canon 400d, I pretty much haven't used this small Fuji since. I saw it sitting in the bottom of a drawer the other day and vowed to take it out for a day to see what we could create. So this morning I put it in my pocket as I walked my girlfriend to her work and snapped a few shots (luckily it was a great morning). I got home and  took the shots into photoshop and quickly realised that the quality is not as bad as I first feared (not great but pretty decent for an old 6 megapixel digital compact). This camera could still get a shot if I needed and it is so small. It can't hold up to the compacts nowadays or the new hybrid cameras (it doesn't shoot raw) but I think I will start to use it again. I am currently looking into getting one of the hybrid cameras, either a GH2 or a Fuji X100 (that viewfinder is amazing) as I want a small camera that can deliver results that are useable on a pro assignment.

I wish I had never stopped taking this camera around with me, I might have got some shots that I wasn't have comfortable taking with a big SLR. Just goes to show how we all get caught up in technology, I know that digital compacts especially back in the day have their limitations but I am now going to try and use them to their strengths. Oh and it has a pretty decent macro too which will be nice to play with again.

Below are the shots that I snapped this morning. I will post more shots as I go through them and I will take this around with me for a few days to see how it fairs.









www.drewportfolio.com

No comments: