16 Nov 2010

g. (An amazing short film by J. Xavier Velasco)

Found this on vimeo the other day and I was blown away. It engrossed me from the first second to the last. It was shot so well and just sucked you into the story. The creator J. Xavier Velasco states that it was shot all hand held with a canon 5D mk2 and a few lenses and virtually no budget. Shows what can be achieved when you have vision and creativity. This puts a lot of big budget movies to shame in my opinion. I loved the hand held aesthetic, I am not a fan of complete precision and the slight hand shake in this only adds to the feeling, atmosphere and narrative. I think that if this was shot using steady cams, glide cams and other expensive gear it would not have had the same impact (well on me anyway).

Watch this and see what great vision and creativity can achieve.

Watch it full screen for full impact.

g. from J. Xavier Velasco on Vimeo.

No comments: