13 May 2010

I Am Legend Book Cover Re-Design Alternative Versions.



This is a different take on the I Am Legend Book Cover i re-designed as part of my fourth year honours degree in University last year.

For the actual final design I went with a black and white version but this was only to please the tutors, I always liked the colour versions better and here are two of the alternative takes on the cover. The greens and yellows symbolise the infection that is responsible for the vampirism in the book.

I personally prefer the cover with the more subdued and muted colours, I just feel that visually it works better but the more lime green bright cover would certainly attract a passer bye's attention on a book store shelf.


Places to follow me online:




2 comments:

Curttehmurt said...

I too am a graphic design student and I'm attempting to design a book cover for I Am Legend as well, do you have an recommendations for an alternative approach? Perhaps some abandoned ideas you had?

Andrew Kelly said...

Hi! Well this was a good few years ago now so I can't really remember how i approached it. I don't have any of my other ideas around, they are filed away somewhere on a hard drive. I researched a lot into plague's and stuff like that, also classic horror imagery as i felt that would fit the book better. The main thing i didi was read it a lot and pick out the main things i liked about it and just kept on going over and over, sketching and brainstorming until i got it down to just a few good directions and just followed that process. Sorry I can't be of much help but like I said that wasaround 3 years a go or maybe more, man time goes quick.

Hope you get plenty of good ideas and create a great cover.

All the best!

Andrew.