11 Aug 2011

Some New Street Shots

I have really been enjoying getting out into the streets with my 5D Mark 2 recently. I have been primarily using a canon 50mm f1.4, an old haminex 28mm f2.8 via an adapter and an olympus zuiko 100mm f2.8 via an adapter. Using the 28mm more often. I think I will look into a new 28mm or 35mm for future street work.

I am really interested in the Zeiss ZE primes for the Canon. The Zeiss 35 f2 seems like a nice well made lens which is important to me as I put my gear through a little abuse (not on purpose, just a lot of use). Will be a hard decision as I'm really liking the 28mm focal length for reportage style work at the moment, I'll have to give them both a try. The manual focus doesn't bother me as I only use manual focus for street work anyway as its much faster for my style, in fact autofocus makes me miss more shots, just not quick enough for that split second moment.

It is actually the most fun I have had with photography in a good while and it's really teaching me to work quicker and to be more precise. It's always fun to get back to the flat and see what images I have captured, I try not to look at the lcd screen on the camera while shooting as it really does cause you to miss shots on the street.

I have also been using an Olympus OM2n for film, which I haven't developed yet as I am planning on self developing and need to buy the equipment. I am also really considering a leica M6 for that rangefinder focusing which I love and it's small discreet body, I will keep you updated with my future street work and camera equipment.

Here are some very recent shots.


Hope Street (The street name and a very fitting title for this image)
Father and Son.


Poor guy has a rather large snout.


This band on Buchanan Street, Glasgow were great fun to watch, 
I liked all the instruments and they were having a good laugh. 
I like how the guy on the right glanced at me in this one.


The same band. Interacting with a passer by, I really liked this moment.
The girl was having a great time. 


Band warming up outside the venue (Ivory Blacks) before they hit the stage.
Not something you see everyday. I like the contrast between them and the old man
on the right.


I really liked the movement in her dress.
 She was in a hurry somewhere.


George Square, Glasgow. During a piping band event.
Brad Pitt is filming scenes from new film World War Z here this month.


I got caught.


Everyone chilling out in Glasgow city centre on a nice sunny day.


Rush hour bus stop.


Man having a cigarette on his lunch break


The picture of health.
A very common sight in Glasgow.


Smoke break for the drummers in kilts.


Trying to find a quiet spot in a packed city centre.


I tried to capture the man smoking his pipe at the bottom left, he wouldn't stop staring at me,
maybe he liked my camera.


Plenty of legs.


Buchanan Street Dancers, always fun to watch these guys at the weekend.
They draw a pretty huge crowd.


I thought this photo kind of summed up the feeling of the London Riots. Hell On Earth.
I feel so sorry for the communities that have been shattered by the events. I lived in
South London until very recently and my flat was far too close for comfort to some
of the rioting, glad I moved away.


Multiplicity.
Something strange is going on.


Certainly a day for hats, even the statue needed one.
The woman looks freezing, it wasn't that bad to be honest.


Balloon hair accessory. 


She struck a pose for me.





No comments: