8 Jun 2011

Testing My New White Seamless Backdrop



Testing out my new white seamless paper. I love this thing. Never thought I would like to work on seamless (or white seamless at least) but It is so liberating and challenging to omit all backgrounds and props. It really makes you work hard to get a great image. I am using this with my Lumopro 160 speedlight and the lastolite ezybox softbox. I am looking into getting either a bowens or elinchrom strobe kit soon for the extra power and ability to use them with much larger light modifiers like an octabox in order to create a much larger and softer light.

I had a problem with the paper though. When it arrived I set it up only to realise that there was a continuous weird indent pattern all the way down the middle of the roll which pretty much renders it useless for anything other than blasting light and rendering it pure white (which washes out the indent). This is annoying as I wanted to shoot a lot as a grey background by not letting so much light fall on to the paper but when doing this the indent ruins the picture and is so large and weirdly shaped that it would take too much photoshop work to erase. I got in touch with the company I bought it from and they quickly said they would send me a replacement (which should arrive today) so soon I can start using the paper the way I initially intended. I’ll post the results as they come.

Anyway this is a quick image of Cat, you can’t really see much of the paper here (it could easily just have been a white wall) but I will post some wider shots later.

I used the Lumopro 160 shot through a Lastolite Ezybox softbox from above my head, pretty much straight down at her and quite close. I really liked the result. I thought her expression was pretty funny.

For anyone who’s interested I will post a review of the Lumopro 160 and the Lastolite Ezybox kit within the week. I am going to write a lot more reviews of equipment I use in the future, focussing on how the items work in practical use, as when I was looking to buy some items there wasn’t much great info out there online (except strobist.com of course). If your getting into lighting and have not checked out this site then you need to get over there now, NOW!. www.strobist.blogspot.com

http://www.drewportfolio.com/
andrew@drewportfolio.com

No comments: