6 Jun 2011

The "Rules" of Photography

I know that in photography there are many rules, just like every other creative field. Always light the eye’s, rule of thirds, rembrandt lighting, use a low ISO to prevent grain, don’t put your subject in the centre, don’t hand hold below 1/60th and a shed load more. Some are better than others. Fair enough it’s good to know these rules but my main tip that i could give anyone and that I have to constantly remind my self is that when you have your subject infront of the camera and you bring that viewfinder to your eye……….all bets are off. This doesn’t sound like a tip but for me it is a million times more important to think this way. This moment, minutes or even hours where you are looking through the finder at your subject is an absolutely free zone where you are completely shut off from the rest of the world, only this moment exists (no problems, no bills, no nothing). For me it is an extremely important moment (that goes by in a heart beat), This is where you live or die as a photographer, a creator, an artist. Whether it be paid, unpaid or personal work it doesn’t matter, you can forget all the rules and simply react, create, observe, anticipate, your creative senses are so hightened that you are truly giving yourself to the moment. This is where you put everything you have creatively on the table and just go for it. To me this is when the best images are made and what will separate a good photographer from a great photographer, now I am by no means saying i’m a great photographer, like I said i’m just starting out but one day I do hope to be. If you can connect, create, anticipate and just go for it on every shoot I guarantee that your images will get better and that you will worry less and less about all them rules and be more surprised at how much better your images get.

I’m not saying don’t learn the rules, as the old quote goes ‘you have to know the rules to break the rules’ (or something like that) but I think that the most overlooked part of photography is being able to connect with the image you are creating at that exact moment, In a way giving yourself to the moment, to the image, to your art. Everything becomes pure raw creative instinct (which I believe everyone has) and the goal is for you to do your best and to get the best out of your subject. There are so many photographers out there with the best equipment, amazing cameras and lenses that I could only dream of owning but are taking absolutely horrible images. Yes there images have great detail, yes they follow the rule of thirds, yes its lit well but thay are so boring and lifeless that it makes you want to bang your head off the wall.

I think I got something off my chest.

http://www.drewportfolio.com/
andrew@drewportfolio.com

No comments: